Monday, September 22, 2008

My Big Adventure!

Like a lot of others, I lost power last Sunday – watching the Bengals play, my T.V. going off, coming on, going off, coming on, then finally going off – I went outside to see kids running up and down the sidewalk, laughing and screaming – then I heard ‘pop’! and saw a large tree branch fall into the yard across the street, leaves and dirt being thrown by the wind down the block.

Then one of the branches from my tree falls into my neighbor’s yard. ‘Great’, I thought, although I was looking forward to using my chainsaw again. I went in for a minute, returning to my porch to find a much larger branch from my tree had fallen halfway into my neighbor’s yard, bending my chain-link fence almost to the ground. And one of my slate shingles point-first in the ground – impressive.

By the time it was over, which seemed to me almost as quickly as it had arrived, several shingles had been blown from my roof. I took several tours around my home, checking for damage I could see or find, and satisfied, I decided to call my insurance company and report my damage.

I was figuring that I’d be lucky to get power back Sunday, so I began searching for the ever-elusive flashlights and a transistor radio my son had gotten me for my birthday, which I couldn’t find.

So last Monday was a wash regarding work – I spent my day calling roofers, fence people, and cutting up the smaller of the 2 tree branches. I did find that radio and began listening to what people were saying. It was interesting to say the least.

More to follow on my Big Adventure!!

No comments: